The grapefruit diet lives on!
A diet that could aid weight loss and healthy skin.
Grapefruits have been at the centre of fad diets since the 1930s, and here we are in 2011, still writing about the craze that is “The Grapefruit Diet” or “Hollywood Diet”.
I’m talking about this particular diet today because, yes I, Miss Zoe Ruckledge, have took the vow to start looking after myself – which means committing to a more balanced and healthy diet. With that in mind, I have decided to include a grapefruit in my eating regime each day too. We’ve all heard gossip and hearsay about the Grapefruit Diet in the past, but really – what was the craze all about?
Without going into too much detail about origins and history, (see Diet.com) essentially, the Grapefruit Diet was based around the idea that through consuming only small amounts of food throughout the day and replacing most of your eating regime with grapefruit, you would experience rapid amounts of weight loss. Another variant of the diet was to fast for 24 or 48 hours, only allowing yourself to drink freshly squeezed grapefruit juice or eat fresh grapefruit for the full length of the fast. Do both variants seem safe for long term weight loss plan?
I tend to feel that 48/24 hour fasting is a little pointless. But what if we could take the original Grapefruit Diet, of eating half a grapefruit after every meal and make it work for us? By committing to eating healthier options of what we would normally eat for our main meals, as well as cutting the meal portion size in half, whilst replacing a pudding or sweet snack with grapefruit – we could potentially have a great recipe for success in long term weight loss.
I bet you’re thinking “hold on a minute! This is just a healthy eating plan in disguise,” and you would be right to think so.
The only difference is that we are replacing our bad eating habits, such as snacking and eating a pudding after every evening meal – with a grapefruit, it’s that simple. If we stick at it, eventually our bad habits will be kicked to the kerb, and we can enjoy the health benefits of eating a nutritious fruit daily. Here are just a few of the health and BEAUTY benefits of eating grapefruit as part of a balanced diet…
· Grapefruit has high water content, increasing daily fluid intake which could help speed metabolism (I like the sound of that, I bet you do too!)
· It’s rich in Vitamin C (again this can’t be bad.)
· It includes well known cancer-fighting lycopene (and we all hate cancer don’t we?)
· It’s known for lowering cholesterol and increases the body’s ability to flush out toxins.
· Grapefruit has unique phytochemicals such as bioflavanoids which help promote skin health, as well as Naringin which reduce toxins in the liver, resulting in healthier skin too.
· It’s been known to help with acne, eczema and lots of pesky skin conditions too by relieving itching and inflammation symptoms.
Really, it’s a great idea to try eating them if you don’t already, I am certainly going to give it a go. If anybody has anything to add, or further pros or cons of eating this deliciously healthy fruit, please do leave a comment.