As usual, celebrities have been leading the charge, embracing the dark lipstick look at various high-profile events.
It was at the Met Gala in New York back in May 2012 that this new beauty trend, which is set to remain a favourite all the way into autumn/winter 2012, first emerged. Actress Camilla Belle arguably wore it best, teaming a deep berry shade with flawless, glowing skin and very simple makeup, all set off to dramatic effect with a glittering silver dress and the actress’ natural dark hair. Also embracing the dark lipstick trend at the Met Ball was the singer Lana Del Rey, who wore a wine-coloured shade with neutral makeup and tumbling auburn waves. Other stars spotted sporting this style, which was most popular back in the 1990s, in recent months were actress Kate Bosworth, singer and actress Jennifer Lopez, Gossip Girl star Michelle Trachtenberg, singer Rihanna, and actresses Emma Stone and Jessica Alba.
Dark lipstick is a great way to accentuate your lips and make them look much fuller, without the need for lip fillers or lip injection of any kind. This new trend can also be worn for daytime looks, as well as being a key part of glamorous evening style.
How to pull off the dark lipstick look…
This look can be difficult to wear successfully unless you know what you’re doing. To get this beauty trend right, follow these important dos and don’ts:
• Do keep the rest of your look simple. When trying any dramatic makeup look, it is important to keep everything else simple. It’s the same with dark lips; keep the rest of your look clean.
• Don’t go all-out Goth. Avoid teaming very dark lipstick with pale makeup and an all-black outfit. This is too severe to be stylish, unless you’re heading to a Halloween party, of course.
• Do apply your lipstick very carefully. Going out of your lip line or getting lipstick on your teeth can be disastrous at any time, but imagine how awful it will look if you’re using a dark shade of lipstick.
• Do choose a super-dark shade if you have a darker skin tone. If you have darker skin, highlight your white smile and complement your skin tone with a rich, ultra-dark shade. Try YSL Rouge Pur Couture in 08 Belle de Rose for paler tones and for a more daring look try Dior Addict Lipcolour in 989 Pinstripe Plum.
• Do team dark lipstick with bold brows. A pair of perfectly shaped dark eyebrows will set off your dramatic lipstick look perfectly, so make sure your eyebrows are perfectly plucked and preened before attempting this look. However, you should avoid the Scouse brow at all costs – this will not look good with any lipstick you apply!
Dark lipstick is a great way to make lips look fuller another way to get the plumped lip look is to try lip injections.